Sunday, January 2, 2011

Day 2: The Sports Page

If the Seminoles, Dolphins or Braves are in the headlines, I would probably read some of the story.  Traditionally, I just skip through the Sports section in search of something more interesting, like the obituaries or what kind of paint is on sale at Home Depot.  Today I have read, for the first time, the entire Sports section.  I have to admit that I learned something.  First of all, people in sports have names like "Tank" and "Dalton" and "Jimbo."  Apparently, that helps, so if you want your kid to be a sport's star, perhaps a name that sounds like he/she could mow down a lineman would be of assistance.  Maybe just add an "O" to an ordinary name.  If only I would have gone by Karen-o, perhaps I would have been a better tennis player.  There are quite a few headlines that have a life/death quality to them..."uphill battle,""continues comeback," and "Manuel, not Ponder, Saves 'Noles."  We all have been there when the game is on the line and truly, it does seem like a life or death situation.  Damn "wide right."  Damn Joe Montana beating Marino in the Superbowl.  Whatever.  There are a few things in the Sports section that nobody in the south really cares about.  Hockey, for instance.  Thank God it is not the season right now, as I would have had to have read more useless crap. One other thing that I never noticed before that there is a ginormous list of injured people from various teams.  Seem to be quite a few people collecting paychecks from the sidelines.  Nowhere else, but sports!  Gotta love it (or hate it).

3 comments:

  1. According to my sister and my husband, apparently it IS hockey season. You see how much we care? Not in the local paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't be talkin' smack about my Joe Montana, now.

    OK, yesterday I had to decide what I was going to eat for lunch all week, since our cafeteria doesn't open for another week, so I decided to try something new. Not that I never ate it before, but I never made it before - that being shrimp scampi. It looked and smelled good. Today I'll see how it tastes.

    Nothing has presented itself yet for my new thing today - I may have to resort to getting out the dog ramp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe Montana is all that, right after Dan Marino.

    ReplyDelete