Monday, January 3, 2011

Day 3: Social Contract

In an effort to create order from chaos, and avoid the whack-a-mole teacher act (stop that!  quit it!  don't do that!  shhhhh!),  today, for the first time ever, I initiated social contracts in my classes.  In essence, we decided how we would like to treat one another, put it down on paper and signed it.  It was a living nightmare getting through the process, but there was a glimmer of light at the end of each class when I saw my students "checking" their classmates who were violating the social contract.  By asking four simple questions, we came up with an individual plan for each class (How do you want to be treated by your teacher?  How do you want to be treated by others in the class?  How do you think your teacher would like to be treated?  How do you think we should treat one another in conflict?).  I am hoping that this new concept will bring an environment which breeds self-restraint and student-directed correction.  Keeping my fingers crossed!  We'll thank the Flippen Group if this works out!

2 comments:

  1. I remember you telling me about that seminar you went to - I sure hope that works out! It could change your life!

    My task yesterday was not quite that lofty. I started a Pandora account. Now I can personalize my "radio station" and listen to music while I'm reading news on the web.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to learn how to do that. I have trouble with Pandora when I use it in my classroom. Mainly, I'd like to pick out songs that I want to hear, not just random artists.

    ReplyDelete